Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Piggybacking Melissa, but in a Slightly Different Way

Okay so it's been a bit of a crazy week around here, and I had some ideas for posts, but I can't remember what they were right now.  However Mel, you reminded me of something I have thought to mention so I am going to 'piggyback' off of your post and share my own ideas for frugality and ministry here...

Since I have begun couponing in the last 6 months or so, I have learned that I can usually get something for free almost every week.  Often these items are things we will use, and sometimes they are not (or it's just something we already have enough of, like soap or toothpaste).  However, if it's not too inconvenient and I can get an item for free or almost free, I have been using coupons to do just that.  I don't go crazy like the people you see on tv, but I will do this if it coincides w/ a shopping trip or doesn't take me out of my way.

So what do I do w/ all this stuff that we don't need?  I took a laundry basket, set it aside in my basement, and I have been adding those items to it.  When it fills up, I plan to drop it off to our local homeless shelter or pregnancy care center (which is closer to us, but I'm not sure if they take donations other than infant items).  I have only been doing this for about 2 months, and already my basket is filling up.  It has items such as toothpaste, toothbrushes, rice, pasta, soap, and infant formula.  Often, I have seen special requests for donations from the local food pantries, and sometimes the grocery stores make it 'easy' for you by selling a bag of say, $10 worth of food.  While that is great, it's nice that what I'm already doing for my own family, I can also extend to others.  As you shared Melissa, this is an unexpected blessing in disguise. It is my hope that we will continue to do this as our kids get older, and they can see how important it is to give to others out of the abundance that our Father gives to us.

1 comment:

  1. I thought of you when I wrote my post and thought about mentioning how I have heard a few people doing just this...but the post was already getting pretty long, so I am glad that you put your thoughts too :) I think it certainly helps to keep things in perspective when you are just trying to stockpile things for your own family, but helping others as well.

    ReplyDelete