Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Applying the Stockpile Principle With Produce

Since I committed to lowering our grocery bill a few months back, I have been begun to learn the stockpiling principle.  I think I am slowly getting the hang of it.  One thing I have been able to focus on quite a bit lately is produce.  I am seeing lots of great deals on produce this season, and I've been taking advantage when I can.

Has anyone noticed, for example, all the deals on berries lately? 


I've been getting them for around $1/pkg almost weekly (making me wish I had one of these).Yesterday, I spent my stockpile 'fund' on extra blackberries at Kroger, on sale    10/$10.

My plan is to make a bunch of freezer jam at some point, which I have never done before but always wanted to try.  I'm not sure how much Sur Jel will cost, but my guess is I'll be able to make several jars for about the cost of 1 jar in the store.  I should be able to significantly lower our cost on jelly.



Before I get started (which won't be for a while), does anybody have any canning tips for me?

*****************************************************************************************************

Okay so I was going to link to a great post about how to stockpile fruit, but I can't find it.  Anyway, essentially the idea is that you can freeze anything that might go bad soon.  This way, you can feel free to purchase fruit on a deep discount even when it doesn't look like it will last long.  Take it home, wash it, eat what you will, and freeze the rest for use in smoothies, baking, or freezer jam. 

While I was searching for the link I had in mind, I did stumble upon this interesting post from Money Saving Mom about picking your own berries in the summer.  Since we live in a condo and don't have room for a garden, I'd like to try berry picking sometime soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment