Monday, May 16, 2011
A Frugal Ministry and a Question
This year, Alan and I decided to try to grow some of our plants for the garden from seed. We borrowed seed starting trays from his parents, salvaged some left over seeds from years past, and purchased a few new seed packets as well as a few trays and soil from Menards.
I started the adventure on March 17th (I remember distinctly because it was St. Patty's Day, what better day to try to start growing GREEN things?) I planted Roma tomato plants, Cherry tomato plants, Big Boy tomato plants, green pepper plants, carnival mix pepper plants(which is a mix of 5 varieties of sweet peppers), jalepeno pepper plants, lettuce, spinach, and some herbs. Unfortunately, I began running out of prime window space and the spinach, lettuce, and jalepeno plants didn't survive (well I did save two jalepeno plants) BUT the tomato and sweet pepper plants DID...VERY WELL. I didn't start counting the Roma plants before I started giving them away but I would estimate that there may have been about 50 (hence the reason I ran out of room).
After realizing we would have plenty for ourselves, we began brainstorming ways to distribute the plants amongst friends and relatives. Alan's mom got some for Mother's Day, and my sister-in-law got all that she wanted. But we still had more...hence the ministry opportunity. Already, from conversations with our neighbors, we had learned that a few of them do a little gardening...why not offer the plants to them? So that is exactly what we are doing. I am excited to share the plants with the neighbors and pray that it will open up further opportunities to get to know them better. It is funny because when I began this adventure, I was surmising ways that I could grow plants and sell them next year to make a little bit of money. However, I am more excited for next year, that we could do the same thing: bless our neighbors from the abundance that God has given us and serve our neighbors (instead of trying to serve myself).
And here is my question tacked here on the end. I have been wondering about this and have not been able to figure it out: Does anyone out there understand the concept of coupon doubling? I've read that Kroger's supposedly does, but not all Krogers and sometimes just one day a week. Does anyone know of anyone who has done it around here, and how does it work (I obviously know that the coupon gets doubled to reduce more from the bill, but am unsure of how you actually get your coupon doubled) Any advice?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm pretty sure I have a good basic understanding, and hopefully someone closer to Peoria can give you more specific advice for your area.
ReplyDeleteDoubling: As I understand it, Kroger doubles up to $0.50. This means any coupon up to that amount goes to $1. Then, anything over that amount and under $1 goes up to $1. I have never heard of the 'only on certain days' thing.
I believe Meijer and Shnucks do it the same way, should you ever be shopping in B/N. Do they have Meijer in Peori?
Once in a while Kmart also does it, but you have to be part of their program. I'm not sure, but I *think this involves a credit card so I'd never do it. Also, Kmart is really far from us so I hardly ever shop there as a rule of thumb anyway.
Also, did you know you can get copies of various stores' coupon policies? That way, you know what they will take and won't take, and how it works. I know some you can download, and some you have to request in store (I've never done this, but it's what I've heard).
I hope this helps!
Correction: any amount up to .50 doubles (and .50 doubles to a dollar). So .35 would double to .70, not $1. Sorry for the confusion!
ReplyDeletedo they just automatically do it? maybe i have just not used a coupon for a dollar or less but...i don't think i have ever noticed that on my reciept
ReplyDeleteYes, they do.
ReplyDelete