That is the question I was contemplating after it took me over a half an hour to hang up all of Regan's clothes on drying racks to dry outside. And this is a question I often have to ask myself when it comes to frugality. More often than not the "frugal way" is not the convenient way (otherwise it would probably not be so cheap) I have to weigh the benefits to my family, as well as the cost savings and the time invested.
In the case of drying Regan's clothes outside...it is definitely worth it. My decision on this one, however, is based less on what it is saving my family and more on my and Regan's comfort during the day. Our laundry room is basically a finished porch-- thin walls and no insulation, which means cold in the winter and hot in the summer. On hot days without the a/c on, it is unbearable to run the dryer. So this one is really a no brainer.
What about everyone else? Are there things you do you for you family that don't necessarily save you tons of money, but benefit your family in other ways? In your opinion what frugal activity is worth it and which one is not?
Since I asked the question, I should probably answer the second one as well. I stated this already on facebook, but right now, to me making my own laundry detergent isn't really worth it. We don't use that much as a family of three. However, I did see an idea on MSM of going in together as a group to making it and then splitting it...that might be worth it to me.
ReplyDeleteI've been wondering about using cloth napkins and towels instead of paper. Has anyone tried this? We currently used cloth for cleaning/drying dishes and towels, but that's about it. It's paper for napkins and lots of the cleaning jobs. I know that there's a trade-off because you still have to wash the cloth stuff (water, energy, soap, time, etc.). Any suggestions?
ReplyDelete